INstal USR addon 70% stop

From: kamil krajewski (kamilkrajewski@0i1.pl)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 14:22:28 CEST

Hi!

I am quite new to linux but very patient. Recently I got an old Compaq LTE 5000
P75Mhz and 8Mb RAM. I decided to run mulinux on it. The notebook has got no
cdrom but I decided to uncompress (install) system 11r12on HDD. With floppies I copied
whole system package and addons (first using dos rar split, after some time splitx - not to use 1,7 format
cause I don't know if my notebook FDD would stand it) and.... before that I prepared 20Mb dos FAT16 partition
(using msdos 6.22 system).
Guess what :) it was too small.... setup does 16Mb swap file hehe. I made second one 50Mb
because didn't want to copy all that files one more time (so they stayed on C:). I ran comp
with installation disk, and it found all necessary files, did the swap file extracted Boot, Root 100%
started USR stopped on 70% and.... kept on writing on HDD but no progress above 70% was visible (on the screen).
After I ctr-alt-deleted :) I found in some sub-directories in d:LINUX ascii garbage (files wich had ascii sign name like $#^%*&^
and vertical rectangles and bla bla, which had for example -1Mb or so :). I don,t remeber now but I once managed to
install whole system with addons (SRV, WKS and X11)... it worked and I was all happy... but I decided to do it one more time
with only one FAT16 50Mb partition to have order in the computer. And I had the same problem with USR (70%) and SRV(22%).
MS scandisk repaired the errors but surface scan didn't found any errors on the HDD, neither did dos PQMagic 6.0.
I would really like to install mulinux cause when it worked (before I decided to install one more time) I found it is a good way to
practice linux for me. I can assure you that floppies I used where OK. I am just afraid that maybe there is something wrong with
notebooks HDD... I hope not... don't know other HDD checking utils...
Sorry for such a long one and hope for a help. I spent about 4days on it (using my spare time :)) copying all these floppies and bla bla
and feel terrible that it didn't work out... but I know that there is an error somewhere and am so confused that don't know where
to find it :)

Kamil