Re: The Opera browser

From: khz@snafu.de
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 16:08:31 CEST

On Tuesday 19 June 2001 10:13, Michele wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 11:00:53PM +0200, MPfeifer nicely wrote:

> > > what do you think about Opera? It seems to me a very good browser,
> > > but it is not OpenSource, or I'm wrong?

> > here attached the opera-terms and conditions, you get this only the
> > first time you start the browser. it doesn't explicitely say anything
> > about redistributing, but it says some scary things about "single
> > copies on local harddrives" etc.. maybe someone with more juridical
> > experience might be better to judge.
>
> Opera is not open-source, stop. muLinux is published under GPL and uses
> many free software, from variuous authors. I can help free developing
> only diffusing free software. It is free software that make possible
> muLinux, not software as Opera.

Michele, of course you are absolutely right.

It *is* free software that makes muLinux possible.

But there are other things (like Netscape or Opera) that might be nice just to
have for some users.

This does not have anything to do with making muLinux /possible/ but rather
it means adding some nice programs to muLinux to make it more interesting for
a special kind of users: the ones targeted to having an even more usefull
muLinux and not being interested sooooo much in licensing issues.

Ok, before you consider starting yet another flame war, please believe me that I
do NOT 'insist' in getting Opera for muLinux (I would never dare 'demanding'
something a free software author). I just wanted to tell my humble opinion that
being a non-free product does not neccessarily mean it is an uninteresting
product or one that is not worth being included into muLinux:

IMHO the decision whether something will/could/should not be included
into muLinux should be made based upon severe technical reasons or based
upon strong demand of thousands of users or something like that -- but not
primarily based upon the fact that it it or is not FREE software.

(but of course this is only my own little unimportant opinion) :-D

Cordiali saluti,
Karl-Heinz

--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer    Senior Software Engineer    Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>                <mailto:khz@kde.org>