Re: [little OT] Creating a public terminal

From: Joshua Hudson (joshudson@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 22:54:41 CEST

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Vesa-Pekka Palmu" <vessu@dlc.fi>
To: mulinux@sunsite.dk
Subject: [little OT] Creating a public terminal

>Ok I'm back....

>I would like to have some help with the following:

>I'm planning to create a public access terminal, the users are
>mostly 7-16 years old and the terminal wonät have network access
>of any sort.

>The computer itself is a 120Mhz pentium with 24mb ram.

>I have thought of using redhat 6.2 as the base of the terminal,
>because it is only "up to date" linux distribution that I have at hand.

>the points that I have tohught:
>1. MOUNTING THE ROOT AS READ-ONLY and loading /etc as a
>ramsdisk so that the configuration is restored at reboot.

In /sbin/lilo.conf (should be in root partition for emergencies):
root=/dev/hdxx,ro

In /linuxrc:
mke2fs /dev/ram1 4096
bzip2 -d < /sbin/etc.tbz | (cd /etc ; tar -xf -)

Insure that bzip2 and tar are in /bin (root partition)
If /bin is a symlink to /usr/bin, place them in /sbin
and add PATH=/sbin to /linuxrc.

symlinx /etc/lilo.conf to /sbin/lilo.conf

pack your /etc tree like so:
# (cd /etc ; tar -cf - `ls -A`) | bzip2 > /sbin/etc.tbz

/var and /tmp must not be on root partition.

>2. Staring X at boot time and loggin the user in automatically, with
>very limited access of course.

You will need to write your own startx script.
Basically, it needs to start the X server,
then start the X client like so:
echo "(xclient)" | su (user)

>I would be very happy if you could offer some help with this, as my
>experience of customizing linux is limited to mulinux.. also if you
>know a place where I can fing games for linux tell me.

>Thanks in advance.
>Registered Linux user number 189403
>Registered Linux machines 83873 & 83874

Vesa-Pekka Palmu AKA Depili