Re: mulinux question: monitorless diskless networked PC

From: Richard.Kirkcaldy@IC24.net
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 21:37:31 CEST

Hi,
        Excuse my ignorance here, but if you are running the PC with the
root file system on the floppy and also running a vnc server then won't
most of the processing get done on the laptop anyway?
        Here's my suggestion, which may be worse or better I don't know-
somebody please tell me:-

Swap the laptop hard disk for a PC hard disk.

Run proper linux (redhat or mandrake) on the PC with a vnc server running
(You'd have to have access to another computer to install the distro onto
the disk though.)

Run Mu on the laptop with just a vnc client and not a lot else, and use
that to connect to the PC. Of course you could run dos on the laptop,
personally I find it quicker to load if you're only using minimal stuff.
Good luck getting the dosvnc viewer working though...

Of course either way you have one and a half computers, and so I
personally would sell the laptop to pay for the extra hard ware on the PC.
You don't need to spend big bucks on it, second hand video cards mice and
keyboards are always advertised in our local papers. And whilst a new
graphics card and a big hard disk may be expensive I am quite happily
running an old two gig disk which is only half full even after installing
loads of goodies, and granted the graphics look bad with my one meg card -
but I'd need to upgrade the monitor as well and I'm not too bothered.

--
Richard Kirkcaldy, richard.kirkcaldy@ic24.net
Ad astra per aspera.