Re: muLinux and website on CD

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 12:50:05 CEST

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 12:20:50AM +0200, Jan Leveren nicely wrote:
> > > http://www.ping.be/vcd/downloads/isobuster/isobuster.zip
> > > With this you can open iso from windows, but only for browsing...
> > Noticeable!
> > But we can open an iso from (mu)Linux (read and write) with this
> > command:
> > # mount -o loop -t iso9660 master.iso /mnt
> > :-)
>
> Read & Write? I use this exakt (except for filename ofcourse) mount under my
> Red Hat 6.2, but there it's read-only, is there something special you have
> to do when you create the iso to get it to be rw?
>
> // Gr. Janne.

Ahi, you are right, mon ami. Even if the disk seems to be "rw":

        /mass/iso/master.iso on /mnt type iso9660 (rw,loop=/dev/loop0)

this not really the case, because I tried to save a file, without
success.
So, the iso9660 format cannot be dynamically changed. Surely, this is
not a Linux or Windows limitation, but, probabily, comes from the audio
(historic) nature of this format.

Not a big problem, really. You can always mount it and copy it in a
directory:
                # cp -a /mnt/* /my/dir

After that, you can rebuild the master.iso with

        # mkisofs -rJ -c boot/boot.cat -b boot/boot.img
                -o master.iso /my/dir

As you see, the "-b" option tell to mkisofs where the El-Torito floppy-disk
(here boot.img) is.

As far muLinux "clone" is concerned, this is not really necessary, because
the script doesn't cancel the workspace (see WS). You can always add some
other material in the WS/master directory and finally re-create the
iso image. This is the solution that I suggest for You.

Michele

--
In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen