Re: connecting to the internett

From: s (smulinux@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 23:28:32 CEST

On Monday 26 March 2001 03:11 pm, you wrote:

> Yeah it's great for use on old PCs. Just wait till you get to use Redhat,
> thats really good fun. Two weeks of trying and sendmail still isn't
> working. I've resorted to using Pine for now, but there is no queuing of
> messages and the delete key does the same thing as backspace. Also wvdial
> only works as root (or su-root). Also it won't talk to my printer, and
> keeps dumping core all over the place - it even complained that 32Meg of
> 486's and am not planning on changing anything.

Really I wanted to find a floppy distro that I could access my other ext2 fs
with in case I needed to fix something when I couldn't boot. I haven't
figured out to do that from muLinux yet. But it has been fun just playing
with it. I can't get the email to work yet. But I am a complete mutt and
rna newbie. I will continue to plug away at it.

I've got Redhat 7.0 running on one of my machines, but it had simple
hardware. Celeron 500, 128 mb ram, Diamond SupraExpress isa modem, ess1869
sndcard, voodoo3 2000 graphics, no printer, no cd-rw.
wvdial can dial in user, but you need to create a pppuser group and give it
permission and put user in that group and put that group in user and chmod
pppd. I had that problem too. Found the answer upon searching google and
reading the posts it found. Try and find it, cause it is not secure to
connect as root. It's basically a permission thing.
I also have Mandrake 7.2 on another machine, man, it was an easy go. I have
a little more hardware, but all a go except scanner and dvd (that functions
perfectly as cdrom). I love the Mandrake. :) I have icepack linux ordered!
One of my hobbies is messing with different OS'es. Love the muLinux too. A
whole os loaded from floppy operating in ram. I think that's the coolest
thing.

> I noticed the same problem BTW, I doubt it was diald in my case. If it
> comes back then it could be the default gateway isn't set up properly, or
> a problem with the auth setting in pppd. Found out about auth from a
> East-European web-site. Jeez - I should have studied languages more the
> way I got that sorted.

I still can''t get X or sound to work either. Don't know if it's a video
card or monitor issue, but again... will continue to try different settings.

-s