Re: how to save fstab to floppy??

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 10:29:32 CET

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 10:08:55AM +0100, st.keul@gmx.de nicely wrote:
> Hy, I'm newbe and this is surely a silly question but I can't help myself.
>
> I have edited /etc/fstab to my needs and made some new dirs. in /mnt and
> now I want to save this the floppy to have the changes on next boot.
>
> I tried setup -s, but it doesn't work where as the changes in fstab and /mnt
> are tested ok.

Unfortunately, /etc/fstab is not under the control of Setup, therefore it is
not saved.

The only workaround I know is to use /etc/rc.local script, managed by
setup/local.

0) setup -f local (anwser y)
1) edit the file /etc/rc.local with your preferred text-editor (on the base
floppy disk now you find also E3 ) and put in it something like:

                #!/bin/sh
                cat > /etc/fstab << END

                        ... put your fstab here ...

                END

2) chmod +x /etc/rc.local
3) setup local store
4) setup -s lock

At next boot, /etc/rc.local will replace your /etc/fstab on the fly.
Of course, you can use the same trick in order to replace everything
you wish to backup on the floppy-disk. Because the setup/local is
the LAST setup lunched, with a judicious use you can in fact customize
the whole system at your taste.

Obvioulsy, if you created some new structure in /mnt, it is not
saved. So, add relevant "mkdir -p /mnt/ ..." at the end of the
/etc/rc.local.

> I'm using the current version (11R9 I believe)

11r9? Please send: I still use 11r8 :-)

Michele

--
In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen