Re: [mu TECH] Problem installing on a IBM Thinkpad 360... well, really I can't install at all!

From: Vesa-Pekka Palmu (vessu@dlc.fi)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 16:17:52 CET

> At 04:16 04.02.01 +0100, Luca "Keeno" Olivari wrote:
> >I've planned to use my Ibm Thinkpad 360 (486/50 4Mb Ram 170Mb HD) with linux
> >for some work with Perl...
>
> did you uncomment or include (don't know current way)
> floppy=thinkpad
> according to the readme ?

I have successfully installed mu on IBM Thinkpad 360, only mine
had 8mb of ram to start with, but other than X being liiiitlleee slow,
it works like dream. I think that you should try that
muUMSDcompressed installation thingy, because other people
say that it is the only 100% way to install with only 4mb of ram.

Good luck, and if you run in problems just e-mail me...

> there should be now problems with the 360 -- some ppl even run openbsd
> on this plant (at 20mb ram), just reporting of x being a little slow.

Well X _IS_ slow, but how the hell accyally needs a GUI??? I use
my laptop mainly for writing, so the 640X480X16 LCD display is fine
for it...

And if you like I can give you some advice on how to make the mu
boot faster on that laptop (and I even can post a kernel with APM if
you like)

Another hint, make sure that your thinkpad has the lates bios (It's
on IBM's site) because it includes soe major APM updates.
Registered Linux user number 189403
Registered Linux machines 83873 & 83874

"We are the Windows. Your life as you knew it is over. Your biological and
technological identities will be removed from our own. stability is irrelevant.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

Vesa-Pekka Palmu AKA Depili
E-mail: depili@sci.fi
ICQ#: 12379430