Re: coments to mu 11.3

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sun Jan 14 2001 - 10:28:39 CET

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 05:51:49PM -0200, renato nicely wrote:
> Hello my friend Michele,
>
> Some sugestions after R11.3 install:
>
> When cloning RAM mu to HD you write a message asking if I
> want do remove a prior installation in c:\linux, even if that
> installation is located at f:\mulinux, as mine. Why don't you
> mention
> only a generic old installation?

Mulinux is not able to know the "label" associated to the dos
disk. In some old version, I wrote "\linux", instead of c:\linux,
but this is less clear for a DOS user.

> Somewhere, I think in PPP connection setup, you wrote a
> note about handshaking methods sugesting PAP as the first
> and usual method. But the default method in script is CHAP.
>
> setup -l lists the setup options including ppp that
> does not exists any more (changed into ppp0 +ppp1).

setup -l is changed in 11r4: now we have a single scrollable list,
with no color.

> Also in setup -l, before the real options list, there are about 10
> lines with "default_: not found".
> Maybe the vanished X11, TCL,PERL etc configurations?

This part of code in Setup was broken, because now defaults value
aren't in xyz.cnf but in the default() function in xyz.fun.
Now, you can revert to 'factory' default muLinux, with:

                rm /setup/cnf/*

> I still can use setup -f X11 or setup -f PERL to; make a late
> install of some addons but I did not find this option in setup
> configuration or help. I think you should mention this,
> because it is a very interesting feature.

An addon is a *resource* like other; so the "-f" switch force the
upgrading/reconfiguration, as usual.

> In pion, when I press enter over a symlink, the program gets
> crazy with the red message about quit blinking furiously.

Pion expects a list; but symlinks are displayed as x->y and the
internal routine fails.

> I'm sorry if I repeat something but I am not reading the
> mulinux list for 15 beautiful vacancy days.
>
> Far south america greetings from your still living friend ;-),

Have a nice day, Renato (Guimarraes??, or something like?)

Michele

--
In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen