Re: Workbone

From: Clive Wright (clive_wright@telinco.co.uk)
Date: Sat Dec 25 1999 - 22:26:20 CET

Michele Andreoli wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 09:42:02PM +0000, Clive Wright nicely wrote:
> > Michele,
> > I tried workbone as you suggested.
> > It works perfectly, unfortunately it does not solve my problems with
> > playcd as:
> > 1. It does not have a facility to automatically repeat the current
> > track.
> > 2. There is no volume control.
>
> Volume control in playcd is at max value (10). You have to use
> # mixer cd 80:80
> to gain volume

Does Volume control in playcd (+ and -) not work for you either??

> playcd is a beatiful tool, believe me: use "m" (play mode) for
> repeat track.
>
> playcd can demostrate the UNIX power in full evidency. playcd accept
> command in stdin.

Thankyou for examples. My brain begins to work, I could delete symlink
"cdp" and replace with script:
# #!/bin/ash
# mixer cd 40:40
# echo p |playcd

Well it is an idea I will have to experiment.

>From your:

Example 3: play track 5, with volume 1/2, repeat mode
--------

        cat <<END | playcd

        ----- (I assume these [ ---- ] do adjust your volume??? )
        END

> playcd is a script-programmable cd-player of 6368 bytes!!!

I have patched my binary to fix the volume control for my mulinux box.
Now 6376 bytes but with my limited knowledge of "C" I could not debug
the repeat track problem.

I attached the binary to an email to Dave Houghton. I assume he used RNA
to download his email as the attachment arrived encoded as base64.
Is there any facility within mu to convert this back to an executable?

On the subject of debugging the metastable version of mu (I can just
about follow the reasoning using differentiation [dx=0 could be an
inflection] but mathematics was never my strong subject).
I will send separate postings of features I have found that although not
critical may be areas for improvement.

Clive