Re: [video] Real Time Video Scaling

Well down scaling is the easiest, especially if you can afford loosing pixels.
Simply skip every second pixel and skip every second line.
This doesn't give the best picture, but it will work. Biggest problem is that
a line 1 pixel/line width won't be visible when it's on the removed
pixel/line. You can solve this by alternating what pixel/line you remove, but
then the image starts flickering (pixel visible, non visible, visible, non
visible, etc)

A better way is to filter the image using a reducing filter. This can/should
be a simple FIR filter. The output of this filter provides a much smoother
image and provides all the features of the original. This can be done on the
fly for a single line. But in order to filter lines you need some memory, but
not an entire frame.

Upscaling (zooming) is best done with a bi-linear filter. You need to store
the previous line for this.