Re: [video] VGA controller implementation

> On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 13:43, Richard Herveille wrote:
> > How about suggestions for additions or modifications to the core.
> > I was thinking about adding crt (Y/C) support and adding basic 2D
> > acceleration functions. Any comments ???
>
> Well, it's basically open.. I don't know if it's viable to add 2D
> acceleration, unless it's for a learning purpose.. maybe some 2D image
> processing capabilities would be nice.. hardware anti-aliasing for
> example..

Personally I was thinking about adding really basic stuff that releases the
CPU from drawing GUI related stuff. Like drawing lines and (filled) boxes.
Just implementing these two functions should reduce CPU overhead considerably.

> Now, I'm at the stage of cleaning things up and writing up some
> documentation.. I integrated your VGA core with the OR1K and your
> partner's AC97 core into a small SoC.. I'm planning on uploading it to
> opencores a little later.. It was a learning project..

Cool, is the system working? What are you doing with it? Are you running
uclinux (or similar). If so, did you write a device driver for the vga
adapter? I am asking this because I still need to write a device driver for
it. You work might be a good starting point.

Richard