[usb] Zero length data packet?

Hello All,

I have some doubts on the sentences (bulleted) in sections 5.8.3 and 5.7.3 of USB 1.1 specification, quoted below:

"A bulk/interrupt transfer is complete when the endpoint does one of the following:
Transfers a packet with a payload size less than wMaxPacketSize or transfers a zero-length packet."

Well, I understand that it is the responsibility of HC to process its TD given that the device transmits a short packet; In this case HC retires its TD with or without error depending on its buffer rounding bit (and host of other stuffs...)
The device has no iformation in it to decide that it has to send a "zero lenght data packet"!!

When should device respond with "zero lenght data packet" during a BULK / INTERRUPT IN transaction...?

With Best Regards,
 Srikanth Kashyap S.       | Tata Elxsi Ltd.,
 Sr. Engineer              | Whitefield Rd, Hoody,
 SDG, ASIC / FPGA          | Bangalore 560 048
 ph: 91-80-8410148 x 256/7 | mailto: skashyap@tataelxsi.co.in