Re: [oc] Multi-layer PCB boards, A REPLY to Jonathan

> > That's a lot of pins.  You could be a little less ambitious to start.

<rant>

> At least its not a BG560, FG676 or FG680! lol  I am starting small, heck my
> first project can even fit on a PQ208 board, I arranged this as it is
> expected to be sold commercially (fingers crossed). I tend to look forward
> to tomorrow rather constantly dwelling on today. Somebody once said "there
> are no limitations for us except the limitations we place on ourselves".
> Without forward vision nothing would ever get invented. I am getting round
> the I/O limitation by connecting two B5-Spartan boards from Tony Burch. This
> will do for the larger I/O projects until I can find a board manufacturer
> who can make me a FG456 board. Maybe NuHorizon have one on their evaluation
> board list? (Can always dream)
>
> If we all weren't ambitious would we be bothering to develop cores and new
> projects? Long live ambition.

</rant>

There's the ambition that takes man to the stars, and then there's just
doing what's practical to get the job done in the short term.

> > Help me out here.  What does mounting a BGA have to do with who fabs the
> PCB?
>
> Ever tried fabricating a board for BGAs? I imagine it would be many times
> harder than for surface mounted devices. I believe (from what I've been told

A BGA *is* a surface mounted device.  Anyway, you missed the point of the
question.

Short answer:  My opinion is that you can concentrate on innovative designs
in HDL using FPGAs (which is, presumably, why you're on this list) or you
can concentrate on doing multilayer .005" design rule boards with a sun lamp
and your grandma's old wringer washer.  You cannot do both.  I suggest the
former, as I believe the latter to be a total waste of time.

jl