Re: [oc] Modular FPGA board (PCI)

A few comments on this:

>Paul,
>
>Just to repeat my concern, 'standard' 33Mhz 32 bit slots in PC's use 5V
>signalling.
>
>The pci connector has a keyed section, which must mate up with a
>corresponding slot in the plug in card. This key slot can be in one of two
>positions (actually the connector is just rotated 180) which indicate
>whether the motherboard uses 5v or 3v3 signalling.  Many plug in pc cards
>are 'universal' which means they have two slots and can fit in any hole -
>this is possible by powering the ASIC's IO ring with the VIO supply on the
>PCI connector.
>This is not possible using virtex FPGA's as VCC_IO cannot be 5V.

Doesn't matter. As long as the IO's can handle the over-voltage. Some FPGAs
use 3v3 IOrings, but have dedicated IOpads which can handle 5v signals.
This is normally taken care of by terminating diodes in the IOpads.

>If you can guarantee the dev board will only go in 3v3 slots (and these are
>still quite rare) then everything will be fine.

Not true. PCI has set a course where eventually 5v devices won't be
supported anymore, but there's still a long time to go. This means even
though your board is a pure 3v3 design, PCI signals can still reach 5v.
This is caused by other boards in the system (or even the system) which use
5v output drivers.

>I'm not sure you can get away with external buffers around the FPGA for PCI.
>as was suggested :
>1, as the signals are bi-directional you would have terrible timing problems
>and two loads per net - which is illegal

Depends on what type of buffers you use. If you use bi-directional buffers
you don't have the dual-load problem. Timing and trace-length is still a
bitch though.

>2, the Virtex-1 devices have the correct diode termination in the IO cell
>for 3V3 and 5V PCI - you are not going to get that in a standard part.
>3, the track lenths from pci connector to fpga are tightly constrained -
>under 1.5 inches for 32 bit signals
>
>Sparten II devices are fine for the job, and a generic cheap PCI proto card
>sounds great !

This is probably the device you want to go for. Spartan-II devices are
dead-cheap (at least compared to Virtex) and awesome fast.

Richard