[oc] GPL(or similar) license?

Hi,

I read some discussion earlier about GPL vs completely free cores, if I
would make a core or a contribution to one and would like to distribute
it under the GPL (or a similar license) could it also be placed on the
opencores.org site?

I have not much experience, I have been programming for years and study
electronics, but I am very interested in helping with an ethernet
implementation and I am a quick study....
But I won't do it unless I can do it under some kind of license that
keeps my work and the work based upon it free.

Grtz, Jeroen