Welcome to the home of nmh, on savannah.nongnu.org.
Nmh version 1.2 is released -- see below for a link to the download area. This is the last release planned from the current code base unless a bug fix release is needed badly. Plans are to clean up the code base for an eventual 2.0 release.
Please check out the nmh project on savannah.
nmh (new MH) is a powerful electronic mail handling system. It was originally based on version 6.8.3 of the MH message system developed by the RAND Corporation and the University of California. It is intended to be a (mostly) compatible drop-in replacement for MH.
nmh consists of a collection of fairly simple single-purpose programs to send, receive, save, retrieve, and manipulate e-mail messages. Since nmh is a suite rather than a single monolithic program, you may freely intersperse nmh commands with other commands at your shell prompt, or write custom scripts which use these commands in flexible ways.
NOTE: All versions of nmh prior to 1.0.3 (as well as MH) contained a vulnerability where incoming mail messages with carefully designed MIME headers could cause the mhshow command to execute arbitrary shell code. Though the authors of nmh are not aware of any exploits of this hole, MH users and users of older versions of nmh are strongly encouraged to upgrade to the current version.
There are three mailing lists for NMH, hosted by Savannah.
- exmh is a TK-based GUI for mh.
- MH-E is an Emacs interface to mh.
- Postcard - part of the SRC Modula3 distribution.
- Rbmhshow - entangles nmh, less, gnupg, openssl, lynx, antiword and friends into a textual MIME mailreader with signature verification support
- The mutt email client does a good job with MH folders.
- UW IMAPd has basic support for reading MH folders.
- mairix is a full-text mail indexer that understand MH folders.
- A lot of other compatible tools are listed in section 01.05 ("other MH software") of the MH FAQ
$Id: index.html,v 1.18 2006/03/28 19:15:45 pgf Exp $