Welcome on the JPKG development site...
JPKG is a software administration program for Unices. It is intended to fetch, configure,
build and install software on an Unix box automatically.
Why a new "package management" tool?
A wide number of software administration tools currently exist: package
managers, the BSD ports system, GNU Stow and so on. They all have
very interesting features that I want to implement in JPKG.
JPKG is designed to allow full build and maintenance
In very few words, what will do this tool:
- Install, uninstall, move through directories and partitions software,
fully secured by complete virtualization and logging.
- Install or upgrade sofware alone, fetching, compiling with correct
options, using a single and simple configuration file.
- Manage dependancies between sofware (programs or libraries etc.)
- Manage optionnal dependencies between software. For example, some
graphic formats support may not be required in graphic libraries, or
some special compilation options may be interesting for dedicated CPU
- Manage concurrent versions of software, such as libraries, compilers
, etc. This management will include mechanisms to facilitate usage of
- Manage the database of all installed files, allowing to get
detailed information on installed software, and verify files integrity...